This morning Benjamin and I decided to work on the back yard. We needed to pull weeds, pick up rocks and rake up the dirt in preparation for grass seed. As I pulled weeds and watched the dry, dusty dirt fly I was taken back to my days on the farm and at home too.
Who would have thought that one day I'd be doing rock detail in my own yard...
I miss those simple times. Hours on a riding lawn mower, singing at the top of my lungs, making up stories in my head, convinced they'd be PERFECT for a book one day. When I worked for New Generation (a local green house), I used to get to work alone for most of the day, doing odd landscape jobs, mowing lawns, planting flowers. Maybe no one knew it, but I cherished those moments alone. I could really think, but more importantly, not be bossed around...right dad?
I actually enjoyed coming home all filthy to reward myself with food and a shower. Everyone has their days, but for the most part I loved working hard, being rewarded, and making my own money.
Yes..it was a simpler time, with much less responsibility, but I loved watching Benjamin drag that rake around, attempt to pull weeds, and put the ones I pulled into the bucket. He was happy and excited to be doing what Mommy was doing. I can't wait to instill in him a solid work ethic like the one my parents instilled in me. *sniff* lol
For some, a shower and food is enough...for others, a nap is in order. ;-)

awwww...that seems to be all I ever say to your blogging...I miss the simpler times too!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Without intervention, those bushes are going to die.
ReplyDeletei'm sure with your current job you end up tired and dirty by the end of the day too, you just don't get the pleasure of ending your job at a certain hour... but who wants to?
ReplyDelete