Today was our re-deployment ceremony. They kind of crammed a lot into it. A welcome home, a change of command, and an un-casing of the brigade colors.
The ceremony was nice, lasting about an hour.
I was surprised by how emotional I was. Seeing those wounded soldiers there on the field, some of them missing limbs, just made everything all too real and all at once I found myself in tears.
Then I felt silly for crying over it....
During a deployment, you don't let yourself think of the "what ifs." You somehow muster up the strength to get through each day, take care of yourself, take care of the kids, support your husband as best you can, and eventually you find a rhythm and you "soldier on."
When the deployment was over, I felt relief, but I didn't really think about the year after that initial hug....until today. It was kind of like re-wind in my brain...like that cell phone commercial where the guy changes his train ticket so he can marry the girl and they can give birth to the 52nd president.... :)
A lot happened over the year Richard was gone and I am so grateful, thankful, and blessed to have him home safe and sound...It sounds cliche, but I really don't know what we would do without him.
After the ceremony was over I think I hugged him tighter and longer than when he first got home.
I thank God for watching over him every day and we are both thankful to have so many friends and family who prayed for our family while he was away.
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment