
If you don't want to read about the birth of Emmett, then you'd better stop reading now. =)
******
On Tuesday morning I went to my regular OB appointment, only to discover that I was having some contractions, was 3cm dilated, and had stubborn high blood pressure that wouldn't go down. So my dr. decided I should head to the hospital for an induction since he was already worried about the size of the baby anyway..(Evelyn at her chunky 9lbs 4oz got herself stuck and we didn't want that again!).
So, I went home, took the kids to preschool, called the husband, called some friends, packed a bag, and headed to the hospital. They had me all set up to get a drug they call "Miso" but I was contracting too much already, so they gave me an IV and started some pitocin. I was SURE I'd have a baby by 8pm that evening....I was wrong.
Fast forward to the afternoon, Rick showed up after finishing a few things up at work and stopping at home to see the kids, and he brought Dairy Queen for himself because I wasn't allowed to have anything. I should have eaten more than a banana!
Anyway, time went on, nothing really changed, so they stopped the pitocin, amped the IV to help slow my contractions enough to give me one dose of Miso.
Around 10pm Richard fell asleep, but the Miso was kicking in and the contractions were getting harder and more regular. While Rick slept, I did some word searches, sent some text messages, took obnoxious photos of myself...paced...tried to sleep...
Midnight came and my nurse and I were SURE I'd have the baby by 3am, 4 at the latest! We were both wrong.
Around 3am Rick stirred, I was in the bathroom. He threw up. The sound of him puking made me puke too. Thankfully I was in the bathroom already. Gross, I know..but these are the facts...
Rick went back to sleep feeling tired and sick and I went back to dealing with contractions...for the next 6 hours I had regular, 2 minute apart contractions that would have been doing something if the baby's head wasn't floating. So my nurse came in and told me to walk, hop, squat, whatever I thought I felt like would work to get him to drop...
At about 5:30 something I did worked and my water broke..from there, everything went intensely fast. This was a pain med free birth by choice...but if I had to do this one again, I think I would have opted for the drugs..and as a good friend once reminded me, the medals never arrived for those first three pain med free births! :)
This is the birth that caused me the most physical pain, the contractions were really hard and intense, but I'm guessing it was mostly because I'd been awake for about 24 hours at the Emmett was born, I'd also only eaten a salad and a banana....
Anyway, our beautiful baby was born after 16 hours of labor at 6:48am on October 12, weighing 8lbs 90z, and measuring 21 inches long!
We're thrilled and his siblings are enamored by him. I love having another boy, blue's my favorite color!
So far, he's a pretty laid back baby, much like Addyson was. Only cries when he's hungry or needs his diaper changed. He's pretty cute too. :)
Anyway, if this blog sounded mostly like a nut rambling on and on...you can blame it on the lack of sleep. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment