
If you want to see all the progress and forget the boring details below
Click Here So...a few posts back, I showed you the wood we purchased to build our secret project...It's finally done, and it really only took two weekends. Which isn't bad considering our work space was our drive way and we had three kids under foot!
It all started right before our Michigan vacation when I came across
a blog post by little bits of bliss. I was totally impressed by her creativity and wanted something similar for my house. Then, on vacation we wondered into Pottery Barn and saw the
Hyde Dining Table. I loved it! But $700 for a table without chairs is a bit much for our budget..
So..we came home from our trip and I continued to scour Craigslist for something I could turn into my treasure. After a few months of searching and finding nothing and a little inspiration from
Ana White's Knock Off Wood, we decided to take matters into our own hands.
My husband is a talented builder. He can just look at something and copy it. He liked some of the plans at Knock Off Wood, but ultimately we decided to go with our own design. Rick wanted to be able to take the legs off the table for when we move..etc. So he looked at how our coffee table was built and modified the design for a dining table. =)
So...We headed to Home Depot, picked up 4 sixteen ft long 2x6's and 1 sixteen ft 2x4. We cut them to make the table top and the apron. We also got a 10 foot 4x4 (like a mail box post) for the legs. Then we bought hardware, stain, and polyurethane...
After the sawing and piecing, we set to work hammering, chiseling, pounding, and adding all the character we wanted. I loved this part because the kids got to help and it really helped to make the table our own.
COST: We bought everything from Home Depot..because We can do it...they can help. =) (and they give military a 10% discount...)
- $38.88 - Lumber
- $16.02 - Hardware (screws, nuts, washers, bolts)
- $19.94 - Pre-Stain (because pine is a soft wood) & Stain ( Minwax Dark Walnut)
- $42 - Polyurethane (to seal and protect) We bought a gallon, but only used about a quart. (Economy size fore future projects!)
Grand Total = $116.84
Now...after we started on the table I was still searching Craigslist daily for chairs. Finally, after months of searching, I found the chairs I wanted and they came with a very heavy marble topped table. Sweet Day!
This table and chairs came in a very hideous light oak color, so I completely sanded the first chair and then I stained it. When it was dry, I decided I didn't like the way oak stained and we opted to paint the chairs black and leave the seats stained to make them look more like they matched the table. This craigslist find cost us $165. We painted the bottom of the marble top table black also and haven't decided yet if we want to sell it or keep it.
Anyway...WE LOVE our farmhouse table and chairs. I really couldn't be happier and it's even sweeter that Rick and I built it from scratch together. =)
OH my goodness... that has to be one of the most beautiful tables I have ever seen!! No, really... no exaggeration. That is gorgeous. Great job guys. The best part is that you all made it together. What a family treasure!
ReplyDeleteI saw this on Ana's facebook page and I had to come over and comment. It is gorgeous! I'm curious, can you describe how your husband changed it so the legs are removable?
ReplyDeletethat really is beautiful ash, great idea, great construction... VERY cool
ReplyDeletePS, thanks also for sharing your progress pictures. very cool to be able to watch it come together. great job Rick!!!
ReplyDeleteSydney, We actually didn't use Ana's plans, We used 1/4 inch double ended bolts. You screw one into the leg and then use a washer and a nut to secure it to the table. http://www.ehow.com/video_2328823_attach-table-leg-braces.html
ReplyDeletevery nice.
ReplyDeleteIt looks awesome!! You guys did a great job-- I love the color- I'm glad I could help inspire you :) thanks for the link back
ReplyDeleteThat is one gorgeous table!!!
ReplyDeletehow big is the marble table top? You could cut down the legs and it would make a super "craft" table for the little ones...no worries about stains and messes.:)
ReplyDelete