About Me

Monday, July 14, 2008

Church.

Yesterday we went to church. We've been going to the one on post. We usually don't enjoy the "
army" church because the messages are almost always army related. It gets old and there usually isn't much depth. But, the pastor who was actually here the last time we were in AZ is still here. He is the guy who unlocked the church for us the day we got married. Awww. :)

This Sunday was actually is last to preach, He's off to Germany in August. He's the best chaplain I've ever heard. Anyway...

His sermon was entitled "Love that Lasts" with of course, 1 Corinthians 13:4-9.

"Love is patient, love is kind. Love does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres."

He began the sermon with the question, How do you define love?

1. Eros-"I love you, IF..." -John 15:12-14
-This is the kind of love that says, I love you if you please me, it is a love that must be earned, thus the perception is, that if the performing stops, the love stops. It is the weakest form of love. (It is a greek word that gave us the word erotic)

2. Phileo-"I love you, BECAUSE..."- Romans 5:8-11
-I love you because of how you are, your attributes. The perception here is that if you lose some of your physical attributes, you will automatically be less loved. (This word means, brotherly love)

3. Agape-"I love you, UNCONDITIONALLY." -John 3:16-17
-I love you no matter what, regardless, in spite of your flaws. This is a love that comes with no strings attached. It is how Jesus loved us and how God wants us to love others.

Conclusion...
What goes around comes around. If you give love, respect, affirmation, you can expect to get it in return. As Christians we need to strive to love the "un-lovable."

He also went on to say that people who are hurting/have been hurt tend to hurt others. They are searching for some way to relieve the pain that they feel.

God has shown us Agape love, the truest, deepest form of love. How are we representing him today?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I just wanted to share that. I thought it was a really good, simple sermon that illustrated different types of love. I don't always love the way I should, and sometimes my "love" is careless. Isn't it funny how God always seems to give us the direction we need if we are open and willing to listen?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I need a fresh reminder. We will be going on 5 years Sat:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch - read this just when I was feeling frustrated last night. Thanks Ash, good things to think about!

    ReplyDelete