About Me

Monday, August 18, 2008

The Hunt

The hunt for a home is proving to be a tad more difficult than we first imagined. Although it is a buyers market, the housing market is stable here and the prices are definitely not cheap. We went driving around yesterday and looked at a few open houses, but they were way beyond what we could afford. They were nice houses, but the lots they were on were so small.

We are seriously considering living on post. It isn't a bad choice, the location of ONE of the three housing choices is great, right next to the lake. Yep, we have a nice lake on post, and a marina. A marina that has convinced Richard that we now need a boat. He was searching for boats online last night for probably close to two hours. The one he wants? Oh, it's just a 69,000 dollar MasterCraft. That's not gonna happen babe. But, I'm pretty sure he knows that. ;)

Anyway, the on post housing is ok. Some of them are 2 story duplexes and the others are single floor plans with carports, reminiscent of a double wide trailer. The three different floor plans are all between 1300-1500 sqare feet. We would get a 3 bedroom. They have two bathrooms, but in the floor plans I looked at the bathrooms are side by side and only one has a shower. There is no master bath. The washer and dryer sit next to the fridge and there does not appear to be a wall in between them. I guess what I am saying...is that this kind of housing would be ok. However, it's definitely not something I would choose to live in. ( We drove around and looked in the windows of some empty/remodels in progress).

Another problem is that Rick was supposed to get 10 days permissive TDY (basically free leave to look for a home). He was apparently supposed to get it from his losing unit and they wouldn't give it to him. So now, we're here, and he can't get it until he is finished in-processing. Prolonging our house hunting 3-6 days. It's just frustrating. He said yesterday, "If my shingles don't come back, it will be a miracle."

So, while the hotel is ok for now,We are anxious to get settled. When we moved to Germany we lived in a hotel for 29 days. It just gets really old. So we'd like to find a place to live sooner than later.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the hunt, but I am not allowing you to complain too much about that hotel, it's bigger than my apartment!! But I do know what it's like not having a place to live, so we'll pray you find one that you love asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cool dudes, everything will work out, and you can get a sweet boat. I mean that's a bonus right?

    ReplyDelete